Will Drawsomething be bigger than Angry Birds? And what can brands do about it?
March 23, 2012 Leave a comment
Five weeks and 20 million downloads (that’s more than Foursquare has managed in three years) has seen Drawsomething become one of the fastest installed apps ever. But is it just a flash in the pan or will it be bigger than Angry Birds?
1. It’s very adictive – once you start playing you get drawn into it (no pun intended)
2. It’s simple – ‘it’s like Pictionary with friends’
3. It’s very viral – being friend/Facebook based it’s going to spread fast
Reasons why Drawsomething might not beat Angry Birds
1. It’s very adictive – unlike Angry Birds you can’t dip in and out of it so easily. For some, it may be a case of playing with Drawsomething or getting a divorce
2. It requires a data connection. Unlike Angry Birds, you need to be online so there are fewer places that you can play it
3. It’s created some great doodles - http://mashable.com/2012/03/22/draw-something-best-doodles/#55083Manicure
What about brands?
Where there’s a trend, someone will jump on it. For starters, like Angry Birds (and many other apps), I can see branded versions come soon. But there are more guerilla opportunities. This Amsterdam agency is cleverly using it to hire creatives by getting people to play the game with them and show of their skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMH2N6rSUQQ&feature=youtu.be